> Frankly, I don't begrudge Apple the $49 for my mac.com account.

Coolios, I just bought 900 shares today so you'll be helping push the stock
price up.

> used Yahoo for a good amount of time, and stopped when they started
> charging for it.

Yahoo doesn't charge for email. What they do charge for is extended
services- more account space, advanced filtering, etc. I use 3 of them for
sites where I have to register and just =know= I'll get spammed.

> To be honest, I am thankful for the three years of free
> e-mail, web page hosting, and disk space I have received. And when it
> goes up to $99, I don't mind it much.

*nods*

> Granted, it was free when I signed
> on for it back in 1999, but things have changed tremendously since then.

They really haven't- that is word for word was what jobs said but he was
trying to spin a money grab.

Nothing has really changed- except apple is at this very moment is seeing
all of its product lines weakening and is doing its best to generate revenue
in every possible sector in order to try to keep the shareholders happy
(which they aren't, lord the stock died today).

> For the money, iTools looks like a pretty decent deal. Considering that
> I pay $15 a month ($180 a year) for AOL over TCP/IP. Considering that
> .mac is similar to AOL, and at close to half the price, I don't see why
> this seems to be such an issue.

The cool thing about iTools when it was introduced was that I thought
someone at apple had taken economics 101, and was applying commodities,
compliments & supplements to their business model. It gave people a reason
to switch to mac, a value-added resource. Sure, the mac cost a lot more but
the value in those services helped alleviate some of the trade offs that go
along with being a mac user.

The theory is pretty simple- computers are an a compliment to the internet.
The more you commoditize internet services, the more you can charge for your
computers. Ie, microsoft wants to commoditize hardware, because people will
then buy more of it can then sell its software at higher prices. Apple
operates on the opposite business model, except when it forgets.

Michael Bryan Bell