Michael Richardson wrote:
>>Actually, I have been looking at the upgrade market
>
> and I was wondering...
> If I still have my 66mhz bus in my lombard, will I
> truly get a "G4/500 machine" if I do the Powerlogix or
> Newertech upgrades? Wouldn't the 66mhz bus act as a
> bottleneck?
> How do they get the computer to process at 500mhz?

Uhh, the same way they get your current G3 to operate at 400
MHz...different clock speeds for the system bus and the processor.

No, your system will not be as fast as a G4/500 running on a higher
speed bus, but it will be faster than your current setup.

Yes the system bus will be a bottleneck; it is in pretty much all
systems these days, absent poor memory and disk configuration, since
processor speed far outstrips the fastest bus speed these days.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona