--- Kevin Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Not true.  The only requirement for an Airport
*STATION* is that you have
an Airport *CARD* equipped Mac to configure it with.
  The only requirement
for an Airport *CARD* is that the Mac have an
Airport slot to put it in.

On Friday, July 26, 2002, at 07:04 , Jeff Lentz wrote:

> I'm not certain that this is even technically correct.
>  When I got my wife's Airport-equipped iBook and a
> Base Station, I had trouble getting the iBook to see
> the Station wirelessly, so I configured it via the
> ethernet connection on my non-Airport PowerBook and it
> works just fine now.  I can't imagine why you'd want a
> Base without something with a card (except to act as
> an expensive router) but in my experience it's quite
> doable.
>
> - Jeff Lentz

Ok, my bad.  I was going by Apple's page on the Airport base station.
To answer your question, probably the most common scenario would be that
the base station was being redeployed in an all-PC environment.  For
that matter, I don't know if you could use a non-Airport PCMCIA 802.11b
card in a Powerbook to run the Airport config, either.

KeS