Richard

I suggest you reinstall 10.1, enter account name as "root" or
"administrator" when your Mac restarts automatically, then do the
upgrade to 10.1.3 EXACTLY AS INSTRUCTED before you install anything
else. Any slight deviation from what OSX expects is a fault (think of
it as part of OSX bootcamp). If you can, reformat before reinstall -
only on a partition #1 of LESS than 8 Gig.

Good luck,              Paul