On Thursday, August 8, 2002, at 05:27 , Obi-Wan wrote:

> Dwight Hines wrote:
>
>> Why is this not a federal crime?  What is the threshold for the feds
>> to take
>> an active role in this?
>> Are novices, even well meaning novices, going to muck up the
>> 'footprints' so
>> much that no one will be brought to trial, much less convicted?
>> Please keep us posted on what role credentialed law enforcement is
>> playing.
>> I hope you have notified all the appropriate federal and state
>> agencies.
>
> I am no lawyer, but I seriously doubt a loss of less than $2000 would
> be more
> than a local Misdemeanor.  Unless there was some federal law violated I
> doubt
> the authorities would do anything about it.  Even then they would
> probably not
> do anything due to the petty nature of the crime.  As I understand it
> Paypal is
> not a FDIC covered institution, so that angle is out.  I do not mean at
> all to
> sound like I am not sorry for Dan's (read *our*) loss, and I hope we
> can find
> the b*st*rd and string him/her up.

        I just got through dealing with the State Attorney's office in
regards to a shoplifting crime I witnessed while still working in
retail. Since this had been the perp's third offense, it was considered
a felony. Though, that's for here in Florida, so I'm unsure if it
carries over to other states or what not. This sounds like the person
has done this before, so a felony charge, if applicable, may be a
possibility.

                                                                Just my $.02,

                                                                                Ian

 Ian R. Campbell