On 8/10/02 3:40 PM, "Dwight Hines" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What were the temps you were running?  And were you running heavy duty
> programs?

I don't want to misrepresent my measures as being strictly scientific or
anything, but what I did was use Jeremy's Temp CSM (under 9.2) to take
readings in both open and closed positions over a few months period. I can't
recall what the exact temps were now (just been too long), but there was no
significant difference in the two modes.

I used, and continue to use, a variety of apps. Probably the most
processor-intensive thing used is DVD player, or maybe the Tony Hawk demo.
The fan is pretty good about coming on when the temps get up, but that
happens very rarely, and in fact, I've noticed it more with the lid up than
with the lid down. I've also noticed that most of the heat actually does
dissipate through the bottom and side vents, and not through the keyboard,
as has been suggested. I try to keep the vents clear, just to be on the safe
side.

Every once in a while, I'll put the laptop on the bed or sofa while it's
playing a DVD (with lid up, of course), and it will REALLY heat up then.
When the fan kicks in after a few minutes, I usually consider that a good
sign to move it to a better location.

-pha