On Sunday, August 11, 2002, at 12:55  PM, Raymond Wiker wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>>>        Amazing - I just checked, and that works. This is a bit more
>>> friendly than twisting the display :-)
>>>
>>>        I suspect that you may now be able to give me a hint about
>>> what is wrong (possibly even a way I could fix it)?
>>
>> Your LCD Data cable has a crack, and needs replacement.  sorry, but
>> that's
>> becoming a very common issue with the Lombard's!
>
>         I've just (today) changed the LCD data cable, with no
> effect.
>
>         Actually, the problem has worsened. It is no longer
> sufficient to just pinch the display bezel; I have to grip it at
> bottom right and middle left and twist it (towards me on the right
> hand side, away on the left).
>
>         Is it possible that the replacement cable has the same problem
> as the original cable?
>
>         Is it possible that the problem lies somewhere else (e.g, in
> the display panel itself)?
>
>         Are there any non-obvious tricks to assembling the bezel?
>
>         //Raymond.

Eek!  This sounds exactly like a problem I had with my G3 a couple of
years ago.  (Sorry, I am not familiar with the G3 Powerbook naming
scheme-- but the one I had was the first one issued, I think.  <I bought
it August 1998>)  Anyway, after months of pinching/twisting/replacement
of cables, I had to cave and get the screen replaced.  I was hauling it
cross-country on a regular basis at that point, so I think that aged the
computer from a wear and tear standpoint really quickly. . . so it's no
surprise to me that it is becoming a frequent problem.

--Courtney
(who has subsequently gone to great lengths to protect her new laptop
from excess wear and tear. . . and had a heck of a time finding a laptop
sleeve that would fit a Powerbook G4.)

Humor [is] something that thrives between man's aspirations and his
limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else.
Because, you see, humor is truth.
--Victor Borge

A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad.  An optimist is one
who hopes they are.
--Chauncey Depew

People can have many different kinds of pleasure. The real one is that
for which they will forsake the others.
--Marcel Proust

We love because it's the only true adventure.
--Nikki Giovanni

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one
can go.
--T.S. Eliot

AIM: LoveTheVeinedOne