Dwight Hines wrote:
> I've just started using Airport on my Pismo (G3 Firewire) and it is
> wonderful.  Some questions that ya'll may be able to help me with are:

Ah, that bright glow of the freshly released ;-)

> 2)  How do you deal with the glare of the sun and bright lights when using
> Airport near a window or outside?  I thought of an old fashioned camera
> shade that goes from the screen to the back of my head, but that may not be
> appreciated.

Look in the back of MacWorld or MacAddict, there's a company that's
selling hoods for powerbooks that lets you do this. They look nearly as
dorky as wearing a photographers hood, though, so you might just want to
move around so you're in the shade ;-) A big golf umbrella works fine
outdoors.

> 3) Why are there so few people using the wireless connections?  The access
> is free and legal but I am the only one using it in the mornings in a large
> mall type place in Florida.

Because they don't know about it.

> 4) Why are the free access places so poorly marketed?  It's as if the geeks
> are in charge of the marketing, i.e., 'we built it, so they'll come'
> marketing.

Hence observation #3. Moreover, they want to be able to hog the
bandwidth for them and their buddies so they can go on marathon Quake
fragfests...

> 5)  Why have libraries been so obstinate and pigheaded, even reactionary,
> about adopting wireless?  They should be the leaders.

For one thing, it's expensive.

Libraries are not cheap to run, and apparently the American public
believes that this stuff falls from the trees, since they consistently
whinge about 'My taxes are too high!' and 'My municipal services suck!'
without seeing the linkage betwixt the two.

When forced to choose between giving you free internet access and buying
books, they'll buy books every time.

Secondly, they are *really* worried about being held responsible if
other systems are attacked via their network access. This is the same
reason we're not allowing free wireless access here, or for that matter,
free DHCP access; you gotta register with us to put a system on our network.

They're not reactionary...you're insufficiently paranoid. :-(

What do *you* do when the FBI busts down your door and points automatic
weapons at you and your family, because some hacker's been squatting
outside your apartment, using *your* Airport to attack, say, the
Pentagon, the FAA's ATC system, or Hoover Dam's floodgates.

The feds just passed a law making hacking a system that leads to death
or injury punishable by *life in prison*.

Dunno 'bout you, but *I'm* not gonna let any old Tom, Dick or Harry use
my wifi...not in the face of life in Leavenworth next to Aldrich Ames...

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona