Phillip,

> ... but if you click on the filename when selecting it in the Finder and
> THEN click and move on the filename you'll be able to rename it...

You're right, but my rant was about the necessity in X for three clicks to
rename part of a filename, not the whole filename. I preferred the older
OS' characteristic of placing the cursor in the text with one well-aimed
click.

In X it now takes 3, or 2 if you want to type over everything (rare for me,
  hence my rant yesterday), which is an improvement for those that do that
more than modify the filename a little.

But I think I now know why the behavior was changed. I've seen many users
who either have bad aim or don't understand the implications of clicking
on the icon's name and aim for the text specifically.

Double-clicking on an icon's name intending to launch it can be maddening
in the earlier OSes. You temporarily get lost in filename-editing
purgatory.* In X, they'd get the expected behavior--it would simply launch.

-David

* But it's a lesson quickly learned. X has been dumbed down in this regard,
  at the expense of productivity. Thank you all for visiting MaX-list!