seen on <http://2guysamacandawebsite.com/> today (8.29.2002)

Forgotten Root User Password Fix

Ever been in this situation? You change your root user password
because you're trying to keep your system secure, but in the process
you made your system so secure that you could not log in to the
system as root because you forgot the password that you just knew
no one else would be able to think of - and it looks as though you
were right. Ok, so what if this happened to me? Why are you
  judging me? ...... Sorry, back to the topic at hand. :)

In order to use this fix you MUST be logged in to an account that
has Administrative Priviledges on that system.

Here is what to do:

Open a terminal window and type in these commands
1. cd /etc
2. mount -t ufs -a
3. sudo passwd root
4. your password
5. the new root password (be sure to write this one down or something :) )

I guess this just goes to show you that you must be very careful who you
give administrative access to. The moral of this story is: Only give
administrative access to people you can trust and be careful when playing
with the root account and when playing with sudo in the terminal.

--
   Windows is like a Mac in the same way that a transvestite
   is like a real woman. It's 95 percent the same, and actually