on 8/30/02 5:10 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> so i am looking at these 2 drives for a powerbook pismo 500 - any comments or
> other remcommendations in the same area (30 - 40 gb drives) and can i find
> them cheaper anywhere? and all url's appreciated.
>

> IBM Travelstar 40GNX Disk Drives Options: 40 GB IBM Travelstar 40GNX Hard
> Disk Drive: $175.00
> http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=351
>
> Toshiba-Hard Disk Drive Options: 40 GB Toshiba GAX 2.5-inch [5400-RPM;16MB
> Cache]Disk Drive:$215.00
> http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=409&Prod_ID=120&Filler=No
>
> IBM 40 GB drive - $175
> Toshiba 40 GB drive - $215
>
> toll free tech support - Transintl.com - 800-783-2120

I just got my 40GNX from TransIntl yesterday. Major hassles ensued when I
found out that I couldn't boot from my firewire HD to which I'd attempted to
clone 10.1.5 and successfully copied 9.2.2. Software reinstallation disk was
9.0.4 which wouldn't recognize the firewire HD either. Major scare until I
realized that outdated/missing Firewire drivers might be responsible.
Downloaded 9.2.1 and cursed myself when I realized that I need to install
9.1 first. Downloaded that and installed it, upon which my Firewire drives
were recognized and I copied 9.2.2 over and rebooted. Very time-consuming
process (4-5 hours), but I've finally got it up and running.

More to the point, the tests on www.barefeats.com proved the IBM to be
faster in most every category than the Toshiba, and former is on sale for
165 according to deal-mac.com for $165. Thirty dollars cheaper than when I
ordered mine last week! [he said bitterly] I really should have hung in
there on ebay for the 40 GNX in a OWC firewire case that went for 225.00!

Jason