on 01/09/02 18:42, Gregory Flinn at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi there,
>
> pismo pb: i run 9 on the internal drive, and X on the vst drive bay. i'm
> pretty much at the point now of wanting to get them both on the same drive,
> i.e. the internal one ... although i will need to repartition, and want to
> avoid reinstalling any- or everything as much as possible ...
>
> 0). actually, before i start trying any partition gynmastics with X, is
> there any good reason to install X.2 fresh as opposed to just updating
> x.1.5?
>
> 1). i tried looking for tips at apple.com on cloning my X partiton over onto
> another partition, but no luck. this has to be some sort of exercise with
> the terminal, right? any good sources out there for 101-terminal?
>
> 2). officially one is supposed to have installed 9 before X on a drive, so
> that X can properly recognise it. however, the fact that one can choose the
> 9 system folder under preferences leads me to believe that this isn't really
> important ... comments anyone?
>
> 3). are there any really critical features that mail doesn't yet have
> (currently using entourage for work critical communications over multiple
> accounts .. )?
>
> thanks for any help ... greg

Look on version tracker, there is an application called "Carbon Copy Cloner"
<http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=13260&db=mac> that will just
do that.

You can choose the system 9 folder in the preferences in case you have
multiple partitions with valid system. It's not important. You can have it
installed before installing or cloning OS X or after.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

C Programmer's Disease n.: The tendency of the undisciplined C programmer to
set arbitrary but supposedly generous static limits on table sizes (defined,
if you're lucky, by constants in header files) rather than taking the
trouble to do proper dynamic storage allocation.