>  >Just a question. Is this "easily corrupted" in your own experience, or via
>  >word-of-mouth from others? I've been using Entourage for about a year and a
>>half, and I've never lost and email, and any "corruption" I've had was
>>easily fixed with a database rebuild. I haven't counted recently, but I have
>>well within 5 digits of email in all my trays combinde. (well over 10,000
>>emails). I've never had a corrupted database--only bloated. I've certainly
>>never been forced to rebuild the database because I was unable to open it,
>>and I've never lost an email.
>>
>>For the record, Claris Emailer 2 also used the single database approach,
>>which is where Entourage gets its scheme. The same people who wrote Emailer
>>wrote Entourage and OE.
>
>   As I mentioned, I'm a long time Eudora user; I'd never trust my
>personal data to the clowns in redmond (personal agitation), and I
>too have 5 digits worth of emails, but who's counting.  So yes, I
>learned of the corrupt database problems from others who have posted
>on lists and newsgroups.  Why do you find it acceptable to have to
>routinely rebuild a bloated database file?  I don't see why I should
>have to put up with that nonsense.  It just seems illogical to put
>all of your eggs in one bloated basket.  I've used Lookout, Lookout
>Express and Entrailage and they have nice UIs I suppose, but the data
>storage "scheme" is not simple enough.
>
>I've worked in the software industry in Seattle as a test engineer
>and systems analyst so I do have some experience with most email
>apps.  For IMAP, Netscape is better than Eudora, but I am talking
>about POP3 since that is what I use at home.  At work we use Netscape
>Messenger on XP, NT, 95 and OS/2 boxes and it seems to work well
>enough.  But Eudora's filtering is far superior to Netscape's, and
>that is another reason I've stuck with Eudora.   I like Powermail's
>UI and filtering the best, and would switch to it in a flash, but no
>way am I using an app that puts my mail in a "database" file.
>
>Mozilla?  Yeah, it's the best browser I've ever used.  I've trashed
>Omniweb, IE, Netscape, Opera and iCab since Mozilla got stable enough
>to use.  But I don't have a need for Mozilla mail.
>
>Eudora stores my email in plain text files, easily backed up, easily
>moved and easily read with TextEdit.  Simple and elegant, no rebuilds
>necessary and no un-sightly bloating.  It's a design that I
>appreciate more and more with each passing, trouble and
>maintenance-free year.
>
>Ross Cottrell

One of the reason that so many different email applications exist, is
that there are so many different levels of email needs. Some people
need quick and dirty, some others may need a comfortable GUI. Others
need feature "X" or "Y" and that limits the scope of programs that
they can utilize.

For example: I used Eudora for nearly 7 years because it was
lightweight, quick, and responsive on the Centris 650. When someone
else got the computer, they were willing to bear the long wait for
Netscape to do the same things because they needed a more friendly
GUI. With my Wallstreet [affectionately, "True Love"], I used OE for
4 years because it was free, ad free, and would pull down stuff from
Hotmail [with full knowledge of the corruption problems]. After the
divorce [er, I mean, when I had to sell my True Love], I have tried
several different programs for my TiBook 800. I have finally settled
back on Eudora for the simple reason that I currently need a high
level of encryption and it fits the bill. Other programs support SSL,
but for one reason or another will not work in my current set-up
[behind a MS ISA server], OS 9 [X won't connect through the ISA
proxy], SSL and certificates.

Here is a sad reminder of how much Mac users still often face 2nd
class netizenship, from a FAQ for Mac users of securenym.net secure
email servers:
>Microsoft has managed to short-change users with Outlook Express for
>the Mac. All versions after v4.5 fail to provide support for SSL and
>Authentication, both of which are necessary for secure messaging.
>Further, the latest versions even fail to support personal
>certificates for S/MIME. Microsoft demonstrates a total lack of
>concern for Mac users regarding these issues. Microsoft states that,
>even though their Windows clients continue to provide support for
>SSL and Authentication, their attention was focused upon other, more
>pressing, areas.
>
>Entourage is nothing more than a bad port of Outlook to the Mac
>platform, and also lacks support for SSL and Authentication. If you
>haven't upgraded to Outlook 5+ or Entourage, please don't. If you
>already have, or do so in the future, you will NOT be able to access
>your SecureNym mail.
>
>Eudora 5.1 has been an option for Mac users, but recently announced
>security vulnerabilities in openSSL necessitated changes in SSL.
>This has created timeout problems for Eudora users, regardless of
>platform. Eudora will work, but not without some annoying timeout
>errors.
>
>Netscape 7+ is an option, although not ideal. Mozilla does not
>presently support SSL, due to the Mac keyring issue.
>
>PowerMail seems to fill the need for a reliable, well featured, Mac
>mail client. We have tested PowerMail, and have found it to be very
>acceptable. PowerMail supports SSL, authentication, and PGP.

PowerMail under OS 9 unfortunately can't seem to navigate through the
proxy, so Eudora is the application du jour, at least until I buy a
new computer [I dream of a Wallstreet G4 1GHz as a perfect mesh of
design and performance.] or my needs change again. I have multiple
redundant backups of emails from previous programs and copies of
those programs as well, should I need it.

ok, It seems perhaps I've written too much and said too little. I'm sorry.
Finke
--
In a orderly world, why are random sigs so hard to implement easily.