Hello all,

I just posted this to Apple Discussions but thought it still worth posting
here.

I discovered this today and thought it might be of some use to others using
10.2.1 who experience unusually long startup times. It may only apply if you
do NOT use your Ethernet port routinely (I use AirPort, personally).

My PowerBook FireWire (Pismo) takes 80 seconds to boot or reboot in OS 10.2.1
(from chime to login screen). This is even after 'repairing permissions' as
has been suggested elsewhere.

During startup, there was a distinct pause in disk activity lasting 20 seconds
(during the gray Apple logo screen, with the 'whirling' startup animation).
So, to monitor system activity during startup, I restarted in verbose mode
(booting while holding down cmd-v). These pauses appeared to occur while the
computer searched twice for a Ethernet hookup (which wasn't there. since I use
AirPort). Both tries timed out after ten seconds, during which time disk
activity was quiet.

So, I went to 'Network Preferences', inactivated my Ethernet port (under
Network Preferences -> Show: Network Port Configurations -> unchecked
Ethernet), restarted, and now my startup time is 20 seconds shorter!  Quite
noticable for me, at least; that's 20 foot-taps I can save for another
occasion (like, say, for when 10.2.2 comes out :)

In any event, inactivating non-relevant network ports may keep the computer
from searching or polling for connections that aren't present.

In any event, hope this applies to (and helps) someone out there.

Peace,
Gene