Thanks to all who gave me good direction.  I'm really amazed at how
small the 2400c is.  I love my WallStreet, but for certain trips the
2400c might be the ticket.  Or, maybe I'll loan it to my coworker, or
resell it.  We'll see.  I went out on a limb and spent a little too
much for it, $150 without the power adapter.  But it's just pretty
cool.
As for the surplus auctions, nearly every public university or state
government runs one.  In NC, all state organizations had to surplus
any old goods, and there were weekly closed-bid auctions.  Here, UVa
has monthly live auctions which are great fun to attend.  If the mood
had struck, I could have picked up a dozen 7200s for about $70 for
all, and monitors to match for $40 total.  I also passed on the two
SEs with Ethernet cards...and an old Plus. Not to mention all the
crazy stuff you've never seen before.
I have to admit that I bought the 9500 only because I couldn't stand
to see it not sell -- the guy started at $100 and had to drop to $20
to get the bids going.
So check your state and public university web sites!.  But stay away
from Charlottesville.  ;-)  (Kidding, there was a woman today trying
to get a Mac for herself, I'd helped her spot some good ones on the
preview day, and I stayed out of the one she was after.  It's just
all fun for me.)
Best to all,
Joel

--