Ted

I too have a 266, and upgraded using downloads from the Apple site. They're
a little hard to find if you're a first-time visitor so here are the links.

Upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75103.
Be aware that it's a 71MB download.

Thereafter you might want to upgrade to 9.2.1:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120030 (82MB).

And lastly, 9.2.2: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75186
(only 21.3MB!), which is recommended when running OS X.

In order to run OS X, you need at least 128MB of RAM. Realistically though,
you should have twice that or more. Otherwise stick with OS 9x.