>> Does anyone know if you can use an external CD-R/RW drive to boot from
>> a system disk? The DVD drive on my Wallstreet II is kaput so I'm
>> thinking of getting an external. Apple told me that Firewire drives can
>> (check with manufacturer), but not USB. thanks
>
>Yes you can.  I do it all the time.  Depending on your drive and machine
>setup you can either hold down the "C" key or "Apple-Option-Shift-Delete" on
>boot to do so.
Apple OE system disks can be used, or bootable system CDs made by Toast,
for example, can be used with a CDRW drive.

However, I found this didn't work in OS X with SCSI drives. The internal
drive needs to be used. In OS 9 or earlier, SCSI is fine.

A Wallstreet will not boot from any FireWire or USB drive, as CardBus
adapters need to be used, and these don't work until the drivers are
loaded during the boot process.

Pismos and FW iBooks, of course, can boot from FW drives.

Cheers,

RD

Remy Davison
Contributing Editor/News Editor, Insanely-Great Mac
<http://www.insanely-great.com> mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
RD's PowerBook page:
<http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/seagate/536/index.html>