On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 10:31:51PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:
: Here's more, from another security site (sounds ominous):
:
: REFERENCE:
: http://www.securityfocus.com/cgi-bin/vulns-item.pl?section=info&id=3324
: # Each directory in the filesystem can contain a hidden object,
: # ".DS_Store" containing data which includes a list of files stored
: # there. This object is created when a local user views a given
: # directory using the Finder.
: # A remote attacker may read this directory content information by
: # submitting a URL to the vulnerable host's web service of the following
: # form: http://www.example.com/target_directory/.DS_store.
: # This information could provide an attacker with sensitive information
: # including system configuration, installed applications, etc. Properly
: # exploited, this information could allow an attacker to further
: # compromise the security of the host.
: # SAFER
: # Temporary workaround is to disallow remote access to .DS_store files.
: # We are not aware of any vendor-supplied solutions for this issue.

This is not a problem for a well-tuned Apache server.  The best fix is
to completely disallow dot-files from being served.

--
Eugene Lee
[EMAIL PROTECTED]