If it helps any, I just installed my 20GB HD. I partitioned the drive into
four disks. I have an 4GB partition for OS 10.2, a 2.5GB partition for 9.2,
a 6GB partition for applications and a 6.5GB partition for documents. I used
the Custom Setup of Drive Setup in OS 9.1 to create the partitions and the
4GB partition was first, the 2.5GB was second.
When I started up on the OS 10 disk, the two larger partitions were listed
first but they were X'ed out for installation options.
OS 10 apparently either likes smaller partitions or knows that the two
smaller ones were first.
I don't think it should matter where you put OS 9.x. It shouldn't need more
than 2GB, though.
You might get a more straight answer from 800-SOS-APPL.

FWIW, this is only the second time I've opened up my PowerBook. Both times
to install hardware. I have to say, it unnerves me. Don't mind taking the
Frankenmac apart. The laptop scares me.

--
PowerBook G3
300Mhz Series II WallStreet