On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 09:13  AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> On 09/10/02 04:20, "Roger Shufflebottom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> A bit OT this but . . . I'd like to set up some common aliases that
>> would automatically appear on the desktop of whichever user logged in
>> to my OS 10.2 system. I innocently thought that as an Administrator I
>> could drop them into the Desktop folder at the top level of the
>> system drive window but that doesn't work! Any ideas please, rather
>> than laboriously adding them to the home desktops of any new users?
>> And what is the desktop folder at the top level of the drive actually
>> for?
>
> I don't think you can do it the easy way. You'll have to dig in for
> every
> desktop folder for every user. I'm not sure what the top-level desktop
> folder is for. It might be something left from OS 9 because I don't
> think
> that desktop folders are there anymore, except for the one that each
> user
> has.

/Desktop Folder/ is, indeed, just OS 9's desktop folder.

The most elegant way to do this is using OS X Server, but that's
probably not applicable for a single-machine setup.

You could perhaps toy around with prefs in /Library/ to give everyone a
common Dock, but I'm not sure how permanent this would be... in
general, preferences in /Library/ take precedent over preferences in
~/Library/ but, in the case of the Dock, I'm not sure if this is true.