Justin wrote:
 > what i find interesting, is that there is a program (coded for linux)
 >  called "maconlinux" (www.maconlinux.org) which allows you to run
 > macos, inside linux at full speed - no emulation, it runs directly on
 > the processor. why cant apple create something similar, for their own
 > OS, on their own hardware?

Look closely: Maconlinux only runs on PPC hardware....and Apple HAS done
this...it's called, oh, I forget, something like 'Mac OS'...;-)

Classic on OSX is not 'emulation'.

It is a separate running process
under OSX, but it's running as natively as it does when you boot under
OS9, it's just slightly slower under OSX because the OS9 apps don't have
direct access to the hardware as much, and other OSX processes are using
some of the processor time.

The last time Apple did 'emulation' in their system software it was back
in the days when the PPC had just come out, and a lot of 68K code ran in
emulation. The last bits of this code were finally excised in System
8.5, which was the first PPC-only os version, though truthfully, the
majority of the 68K only code that mattered had long been converted as
far back as System 7.5; System 8 had very little, and little-used
68K-only code.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona