Pismo 400, 320 RAM, used to test software under various OSes. All OS
installs are vanilla.

=========
background
=========
I have 4 partitions on the drive -
OS 9 (curently 9.0.4 per fresh wipe and restore from original disks)
OS X (curently blank, previously had 10.1)
Applications,
and a 4th partition onto which I need to install 8.6.

One final note - which I don't know if it affects this 8.6 install issue or
not -- this PBook is scheduled to go in for diagnostics and repair as it has
developed an increasingly alarming "click" when accessing the hard drive.
(Also a number of type 1, 2 and 3 errors, although these could be due to the
software I am testing.) I am assuming that the clicky problem isn't the key
obstacle in my install, since all other apps & install run fine with no
errors....

=====
crux
=====
per the very helpful table at  lowendmac.com/pb2/g3-guide.html  , I assumed
installation of 8.6 would be possible. I avoided buying "8.5-with-8.6
upgrade" CDs, bought what seemed like it would do the trick a CD titled
"Power Macintosh G3 software Install or Restore" CD. The booklet refers to
installation on a PBook, and the CD itself has an "Install OS 8.6" alias, so
I figured I was OK.

Here are the problems:

1. I cannot boot from the install CD using "C'".  Though the CD has an OS
8.6 system folder that sems to be complete, that's ingnored and it just
boots from the recently-restored OS 9. (CD is not damaged, it mounts OK).  I
saw a mention in the Read Me that OS 8.6 cannot boot from a DVD-RAM, so I
figured that I can't boot from the install CD.

2  Launching the "Install Mac OS 8.6" SW install document generates the
error "This program cannot run on your computer"

3. Dragging the system folder (sys=8.6, finder =8.6, OS ROM =1.6,
SysResources=8.6) from the Cd into the partition, then sseeting the 8.6
partition as the startup volume doesn't work either - it ignores 8.6 and
boots in 9.0.4!

=======
Notes
========
1. I have had multiple "bootable" partitions before (X, 9.0, and 9.2.2. most
recently)  but not 8.6.

2 i have run everything I can think of - Hardware Test, Disk FA, Norton
Systemworks  - and everything comes up just peachy. Plus zapped PR, rebuilt
desktop, polished the keyboard, tickled the logo.....

Any ideas, suggestions, comments are welcome.

Send list messages to:  <mailto:G-Books@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:G-Books-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>