I was having difficulty projecting an AppleWorks presentation slide show
because I didn't realize that AppleWorks automatically switches to a lower
screen resolution when you play a presentation ("slide show"). (See
original question and quote from AppleWorks Help below.)

Peter, from the G-Books list, provided the key to the solution:
>------------------------------
>
>Rodney:
>I too experienced the same problem, under OS 9, with AppleWorks, with
>presentations.  It's because AW only "presents" presentations at 640x480, so
>the PB switches resolution settings so that the presentation can be seen
>full-screen.  Does the same thing in OS X.  Unfortunately, the projector
>you're using may not support the default settings of resolution and refresh
>rate.  My *best advice* would be to set the PB's onscreen resolution to
>640x480 at a refresh rate that will work with the projector.  If the
>projector refuses to work, you're probably out of luck.  AW's presentations
>software isn't as robust when it comes to resolutions, etc.  Better luck
>with PowerPoint.
>
>I checked as much as I could in AW as to screen settings, etc., but couldn't
>find anything... Good luck!

I didn't quite understand the problem when I first read Peter's suggestion,
but came around to the same realization later by myself, noticing the jump
in resolution when I pressed "Play".
And for some reason, the switch to a lower resolution causes the projector
to lose the signal from the PowerBook and project a blank screen (even
though the new resolution is within the projector's stated range, according
to the projector's manual).

At my second trial run yesterday I was successful in projecting the slide
show by setting the resolution to 640 X 480 in the PowerBook Display
Control Panel (control strip).

Following up a subsequent suggestion from Eric D. from the MacToMac list:
>have you checked out AW options/preferences? I'm guessing they'll have a few
>options devoted to screen resolution switching/and or control. Maybe even
>the AW help file has something on the topic.
I FINALLY searched AppleWorks Help for "resolution" and came up with the
following crucial information:
"When you start a slide show AppleWorks switches to a lower resolution.
(This enhances performance, especially for presentations that use
memory-intensive features such as QuickTime movies. If you don't want the
screen resolution to change when you play a slide show, hold down the
Option key while you start the slide show."
So I should probably be able to play the presentation ("slide show") at
full resolution when I do it on Wednesday.

Who would have thought that a) AppleWorks would automatically change
resolutions when you play a slide show, and b) the change in resolutions
(still within the acceptable range listed in the projector's manual) would
cause the projector to lose the signal from the PowerBook?! (Some people
made suggestions regarding the projector's refresh rate, but since I don't
really understand the relevance of that, I won't try to summarize.)

Several people also commented that switching to PowerPoint, if I didn't
mind the expense, would be a good move; but since this presentation will be
my second [successful, I hope] one using AppleWorks, and I don't really
feel a need for any PowerPoint bells and whistles that may be missing in
AppleWorks, I'm still not ready to break my chain of completely avoiding
the use of Macroshaft end-user products  <hurray for me!!!>.

Thanks to Ilan, Mike, and Seth for your suggestions, too.

Rodney
(in Hayama, Japan)

Original question:

Send list messages to:  <mailto:G-Books@;mail.maclaunch.com>