My daughter called last night with a problem which is *very* puzzling to
me. She is using her iBook (the earlier clamshell model, I think 300 MHz,
indigo), and her AppleWorks (6.0.x) had locked up on her and she shut
down the iBook (ouch!). After she started it back up, the AppleWorks
folder was there, but nothing in it!

Over the course of an hour phone call, I walked her through finding the
Install disk and re-installed the AppleWorks on her drive. When she
started up AppleWorks, she got an error message about it not being able
to open some spreadsheet file (she had only double-clicked on AppleWorks,
not on any file), but then there was some spreadsheet file there. When
she exited from AWks and looked in the AWks folder, all the stuff was
gone!! I had her then (and had earlier in the phone call) do a Sherlock
search for AppleWorks - the first time, there was Appleworks, but it was
greyed out (like when you've done a search, and before quitting Sherlock
have deleted the file).

I asked my daughter if anyone else has been using her iBook, but she
didn't know of anyone except for her fiance. Asked if the landlord had
had anyone over working in the house on anything (nope), if one of her
roommates had had friends over (nope) or had a party (nope). My daughter
has Virex installed and running, so this whole thing is getting puzzling
to me. My situation is different from hers, as I've upgraded my
AppleWorks (to 6.1.2) and OS (to 9.2.2), so I cannot rule out possible
problems between AW 6.0.x and MacOS 9.0.4.

Has anyone experience or seen this kind of total disappearance of the
AppleWorks folder's contents? I almost wonder if I need to take my
Diskwarrior and Norton CDROMs and drive the 4 hours down there to run
tests on her drive (but that seems like such a long drive).

Any and all help will definitely be appreciated by this dad.

Jim Rohde

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in
human history....
     with the possible exception of handguns and Irish whiskey.

Send list messages to:  <mailto:G-Books@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:G-Books-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>