On Tuesday, November 12, 2002, at 04:13 PM, Eugene Lee wrote:

> Nope.  You can have protected memory without swap (diskless computers).
> And you can have swap without protected memory (old Mac OS, old
> Windoze).
> Protected memory means that processes can only hose their own memory
> space, and not hose other processes' memory spaces.
>
> Okay, repeat:
>
>       Virtual memory: when you run out of real memory
>
>       Protected memory: your app can't corrupt the memory
>               space of other apps
>
> They don't really need each other.  But the fact that pages are the
> same
> size makes the implementation lots easier.

conceptually, you are correct.

however, MOST Protected Memory schemes use Virtual Memory to do what
they do. not all, but most. There's no real reason why it must be this
way... it's just the most simple way to do it on some OS's.

Send list messages to:  <mailto:G-Books@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:G-Books-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>