Hi all,

Given the fact that Dan just posted regarding this very
subject to all of the lowendmac lists, I think I can bring
this up without sounding too much like a whiner (or one of
those lurkers who comes out of the woodwork to make
unreasonable demands of the list).

I subscribe to the G-books digest, and in the last digest I
received there was an exchange of four messages in which
the people involved never cut out any of the footer
information from the previous messages. The first message
was a reply to an earlier message, so it contained one set
of quoted footers, and the quoting continued until the
fourth message carried four sets of quoted footers. That's
ten sets of quoted footers, where there should have been
zero. Each footer is about 20 lines long.

Please, please, please, if you do no other editing, please
at least snip the list footer information from the message
you're replying to. I think Dan's recommendation of
bottom-posting is fine, but I also think it's a somewhat
separate issue from cutting footers and ads out of replies.
People may have different philosophies on top vs. bottom
posting, but I can't think of any philosophical argument
for not cutting footers and ads out of replies.

As Dan said the other day:
"One of my pet peeves -- and something a lot of you have
probably received a note about -- is people who quote the
entire original message right down through the footer. The
header. The ads. Everything.

I go through each digest, scrolling past screen after
screen of quoted material. It's too much. It's unnecessary.
It's poor netiquette. And it violates list guidelines,
which ask that you quote selectively in your replies."

Thanks,
Sarah

Send list messages to:  <mailto:G-Books@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:G-Books-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>