On Sunday, November 17, 2002, at 06:20  AM, B.J. Major wrote:

> Hello Glist,
>
> I need some step by step instructions on how to transfer files from 1
> Wallstreet II to another Wallstreet II.  These are large QuickTime
> files
> (over 200 meg each), so using slower AppleTalk is out of the question.
> need to know what kind of ethernet cable to buy and also how to set up
> an
> Ethernet connection - something I've never done, so you will be talking
> to a complete newbie here.
>
> Post to the list or email me privately.  Many thanks in advance!!

Go to an electronics shop and buy a 'Crossover ethernet cable'. Plug
one end into the ethernet port of each laptop. Turn them on, set
appletalk to Ethernet in the control panel, and enable sharing on one
or both of the Wallstreets. Voila. Instant Network. Basically it's the
same as doing it with LocalTalk, only you use the ethernet port instead
of the printer port.

Some Macs, (and I don't know if the Wallstreet is one of them), will
not 'stick' on Ethernet if there isn't a live device on the other end,
so some switching back and forth in the appletalk control panel may be
necessary once both computers are on.

If this is to be a more permanent thing(or you will add more Macs in
the future), get a 4 or 5 port Ethernet hub or switch (probably about
$35-$65 at an electronics store like Best Buy or Compusa.) and some
regular ethernet cables. Plug the cables into ports on the hub, and
into the Wallstreets, that will definitely get around the problem of
needing a live device.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.

Bruce Johnson