Can anyone offer any advice on the following problems that I have had on my
400 MHz G3 (Pismo) powerbook?

About nine months ago I had to call Apple support because I couldn't get the
computer to boot- everytime I tried I got the dreaded "Flashing Question
Mark". I was talked through the procedure of hitting the reset button, booting
from the CD, etc, etc. Unfortunately I had to end up re-initializing my hard
drive, but the computer could boot, and I learned a lesson about backing up
important files.

This solution seemed to work for about three months however, In the early
summer I had the same problem, but I was prepared with a back up, and when I
started the procedure, it ended up that my Hard drive had only managed to
"unmount" itself somehow- I remounted it, and went on my way.

However, in the last month, I have had the same problem on a regular basis.
The latest problem now occurs even after I have booted my computer- I will be
notified (in the finder) that there has been an error, and that some data
might have been lost. I have Re-booted via CD numerous times, both having to
re-initialize my hard drive and sometimes being able to save the contents of
my hard drive. I have run both Tech Tool Three and Norton Disk Doctor. The
usual error that I get is that some files have been corrupted, or that there
is a "Catalog B Tree 3 error". I had thought that over the two and a half
years of my ownership of my pismo, I had unfortunately somehow done serve
damage to my hard drive. I replaced it and thought that that would solve the
problem of the Flashing Question Marks.

It hasn't.

I am now thinking that my internal battery has given up on me. Does anyone
have the same thought? Is there an other diagnosis?
Please let me know your thoughts on this, I would hate to have to purchase a
new computer for the sake of a 12.6 volt battery...

Thanks,

Martin Holland