On 11/26/02 1:39 AM G-Books John Haumann enlightened us by writing:

>Whether a claim is or isn't filed (for a covered
>peril) is up to the individual.  That's the way it works.  Insurance
>companies simply offer products with features that customers seem to
>want -- and are willing (or gullible enough) to pay for -- and the
>product is priced accordingly.

And it would appear that it is up to the insurance company whether or not
they will dispute the claim (based on whatever criteria they use).

Kyle wrote:
>I did not call *you* a thief.  All I said was that is seemed a bit like
>theft.  Insurance fraud is a huge problem in this country.
Either one can involve insensitivity to a poster, rather than being
supportive and helpful for others on the list (which is one of the things
I thought lists like this were supposed to do). Maybe we could *all* step
back, take some deep breaths, and return to the main business of this
list (and forget about blame, defensiveness, etc.)...

Kyle has a good point in that many people do choose to do "the right
thing" by their own standards, and I would agree with him on that.
However, he weakens his own point by taking a pool of what his co-workers
think is acceptable behavior. That would seem to reduce personal
ethics/morals/beliefs to a survey, rather than a standard of any personal
kind.

My own personal beliefs include that one should do what is right because
it is right, rather than because it is/isn't popular (in my country, my
state, my community, or even my household). But then again, I'm
old-fashioned in some other ways, too. I can live with that! :-)

Jim Rohde

It is not your business to succeed
but to do right. When you have done
so, the rest lies with God.