Hi,

This is my first post to this list. I had used low end mac's Quadra
list while refurbishing my old Quadra to give to a friend and the
folks there were so helpful. I am hoping to have similar luck here.

You see, I've done something absolutely awful to my dear Ti
Powerbook! Feel free to tell me what an idiot I am... believe me,
that's what I am saying to myself!! You see I accidentally spilled
beer(!) on the surface of the laptop. It was a bottle less than half
full and it tipped onto the laptop. The opening landed right about
between the space bar and the track pad. The second it tipped I
grabbed it, so it only had a half a second to spill. And it wasn't
full. So it's not like it poured in. I immediately soaked up what was
there with paper towels (cussing profusely...) The liquid was mostly
confined to this area of the lower keyboard. I removed the keyboard
pad, and very carefully soaked up any droplets that I saw. Again,
there wasn't a whole lot, it wasn't soaked. Mostly just at the ridge
where the keyboard sits.

I opened the battery area and wiped in there and wiped the battery.

I removed the back and there was a small amount on the back metel
cover. I looked inside and used a non static dry cloth to very
carefull soak up anything I could see, but there wasn't much. There
was one droplet on the large chip in the center that I think said
"lucent" (is that the processor?) But not much to get from the back.

I put it all back together, and booted it up. It did boot up, but the
screen was all dark. I could barely make out the desktop underneath.
I let it run for a short while hoping the heat generated might help
evaporate anything. No change, restarted, no change. So I shut down
and packed it up and left it propped up with one corner down (the cd
corner) hoping if there is anything in there it could flow down and
out.

I left it like that overnight. Went to bed and prayed for my mac.

Today, started up, and same thing. Everything seems to work, but the
screen is very dark. I can barely see the desktop, but I can see
enough to see that it seems "normal" in there. I opened the monitors
control panel and tried to adjust the monitor to overcompensate for
the darkness. Not able to make any significant difference.

I thought it might be as simple as "brightness", and but it is turned
all the way up. Incidentally, turning the brightness all the way down
then all the way back up makes no discernable difference to the
screen. So maybe it is a brightness thing, and it is just stuck at
the lowest...?

I've left it running so it can warm up and evaporate or whatever. I
linked to it via ethernet, and everything appears to be there, and
normal when linked remotely. I ran norton on it and it was fine.

So, the good news is that it seems to be "ok" except for the monitor
display (which of course is a pretty crucial feature!)

There is only one local mac service place here and I don't have alot
of faith in them... would rather try to troubleshoot this myself if I
can.

I am kicking myself so much, I absolutely love this laptop and I
can't believe I have done this. Can any of you help me with any ideas
of how to remedy this problem?

Thanks and sorry so long...

Susan