Margaret Lucas writes:
 > hi there,
 >
 > has anyone encountered problems with the combo drive in their iBook?
 >
 > mine is back in the shop to have the cd/dvd drive replaced for the
 > second time b/c it
 >
 > 1) fails to eject cds
 >
 > 2) makes a chug-chug noise when it tries to read (the apple tech person
 > asked if i were frying something on my stove in the background - the
 > noise is so loud) making installing software from cds intermittently
 > impossible?

        I've heard this as well (or something like it). In my case, it
seems that the problem was that I hadn't placed the CD correctly on
the spindle.

        Slightly more worrying is the fact that I have problems
writing CDs. This may be limited to "large" CDs (600 megabytes and
above). It also seems that some CDs written by my iBook cannot be read
by some of my other machines (FreeBSD, mostly).

        I've just bought AppleCare for the iBook, but I would really
prefer not having to send it in for diagnostics/repair :-(

--
Raymond Wiker                        Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Software Engineer             Web:   http://www.fast.no/

Try FAST Search: http://alltheweb.com/