Wooohooo - we finally got to the bottom of this one!

Somehow the [EMAIL PROTECTED] addresses had become
subscribed to several of our email lists. I don't know how that could
have happened, since we require confirmation of all subscriptions, but it
did.

The result: Every time someone posted to that list, a copy of their email
went to the subscribe address, and the list server sent out the usual
reply to a subscription request.

It wasn't a list configuration matter at all, nor was it anything that
should have been able to happen. Live and learn.

I'm going through the lists one by one to make sure these addresses are
removed. This should be the end of the matter, but if you do get any
confirmation emails after this, please email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dan the listmom