>Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:55:45 -0700
>From: Bruce Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Smartmedia cards in powerbook PC slots
>
>Andrew wrote:
>> Shortly after that I saw a posting (on this list perhaps?) mentioning
>> that the MAC finder might confuse the simple minded smartmedia card.
>

>That the *camera* is having a problem with those files is not indicative
>that the Mac 'corrupted' the card. It did not. If you put the card back
>in the Mac you could read the files just fine.

I'm sorry that's not the way it worked with me.

The only 2 times I've had a smartmedia card from my olympus camera fail
on me both followed the same sequence:

1: card in camera, I can take pictures and review pictures
2: put card in adapter plug adapter into powerbook (520 once, wallstreet
once)
3: powerbook will not read card
4: card now will not read in my camera, my WIN98 laptop or my DOS
palmtop or the powerbook. I think it's fair to say that the card is now
"corrupted"
5: images are recovered using a disk utility (scandisk for the
wallstreet card, 100% recovered and PhotoRescue for the 520 card, 85%
recovered)

So to review:
1: I have observed card failures the coincide (as in coincidence?) with
trying to read the card in a powerbook with a PC card adapter
2: I have stumbled across a theory (possibly bogus) that suggests that
some equipment may have problems with the invisible files that are part
of the MAC file system
3: My new camera allows me to connect through my USB card so I can leave
the card in the camera

Based on the above I can see no advantage to the PC card adapter so
there's no reason to take a chance (perhaps a very small chance) on
losing my photos by using a PC card adapter.
Possibly if I had a different camera this wouldn't be a problem.
Possibly upgrading my Wallstreet to OS 9.1 may avoid the problem.
I can only speak from my experience, hopefully I'm contributing more
light than heat.

>The only time I've ever had a problem with this (my camera is an Epson)
>is when I accidentally loaded a picture from the camera card, tweaked it
>in Graphic Converter and accidentally saved it back to the card. Then
>the camera didn't recognize it and simply skipped over it when I
>scrolled through the pictures; it's possible that you did something like
>that.

This was not the case with the corrupted cards, since I was not able to
read the cards at all I couldn't edit the photos on them.
I just tried cropping a photo in Graphic Converter and replacing the
card in the camera. The picture still came up on the camera screen but
it was perhaps half the size....

>The problem people are having with your statements is because on the
>face of it, it cannot be universally true, because LOTS of people are
>using smartmedia cards this way, on their Macs, with no problems...

I've never claimed it was universally true.
I think people are getting wound up about the original subject line and
not reading all the qualifiers in the body of the message.
This time I made sure to put a less definite subject line on the
message.

I just had a look at a card that I had connected to an Imac through the
USB cable.
All the hidden files were there so keeping the card in the camera
doesn't prevent the hidden files from being written.
If the hidden files don't cause problems when written through the camera
then maybe it's how the hidden files are handled by the PC card adapter?
The PC card adapter I've used is a "new media" brand part number
NMT00734.
Has anyone else had experience with this brand?

--
Andrew King
Ann Arbor Michigan