>>>On Thursday, December 19, 2002, at 08:54 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tangerine iBook, OS 9.2.2, about 320MB RAM with what seems to be a
> hosed
> directory. I booted from a CD and am running DiskWarrior, and it's
> "stuck"
> on Step 6 - Rebuilding directory. The specific message says,
> "Overlapped
> files detected." That's fine, but it's been chugging along at this
> step for
> over 14 hours. The file count keeps slowly incrementing (7583 and
> counting),
> so I *think* it's still working. But 14 hours?
>
> Is this normal? I've had step 6 take a while before, but never
> anything like
> this. What do you guys think?

Gene, it's bad.  Do you have a backup of the important stuff that was
on that iBook?

I have seen this happen before and it ALWAYS occurs on Blue & White G3s
running 9.2.2 with OS X installed.  There is no recovery for DW, it
will eventually crash with a memory error.

You could let it run if you don't need the machine.  There's no harm in
letting it try.  But I predict that you will be reinitializing that
drive soon.<<<
Just curious if this bad behavior has been tied to defective RAM?  Over on
www.macintouch.com for some time now there have been user reports of some very odd
problems that have been traced to "defective RAM".  This RAM apparently works well
under just OS 9.x, but an install of X can cause memory problems to begin showing.
Removing RAM upgrades and running with the original RAM seems to work, as does new
replacements for the RAM upgrades.

Jerry