Last September I lost the ethernet on my Lombard.   I tried
it on each of six different busses and switches.    I bought an
asante cardbus card for it and it worked great.
        Then I has some horrible problems with OSX and the
cardbus---wiping out parts of my disk and so forth.
        So I reformated everything from scratch and only used OS9.1.
Well anyway, I was having trouble getting the cardbus to work.   So
one evening I was very tired, I sat down to work on the machine, and
without thinking I hooked the ethernet wire to the standard port.
After it booted up, I realized what I did, but I punched explorer
anyway to see what happened.   Low and behold everything worked fine.
        So I am guessing that resetting the PRAM and resetting the
the power restart switch, pulling the battery and so forth,
something there reset the ethernet.

        So anyway, my Ti-book won't log on to autosensing switchable
10/100bt ports---it will only hook up to  non-switchable non-sensing
10bt  ports.   So I reset the PRAM several times, I hit the hard
reset button for a while, and low and behold, I got the 10/100
ethernet back.
        Apple took my Tibook some time ago, fixed it and sent it
back---I don't know if that's what they did--but I they had told me
this stuff it would have saved me a whole bunch of trouble.