Jon Glass wrote:

> I remember many years ago, in the first years of the Mac, that I was using a
> Xerox dedicated desktop publishing system. It was wonderfully WSIWYG, and it
> had the feature of dragging files to the printer icon to print. At the time,
> I thought it was a wonderful feature, and wished that somebody else would
> imitate this feature.

Ahh, the old Xerox Stars...we had a bunch of them, and I was trying to
snag one of those wonderful (for the time) 400 dpi laser printers that
came with 'em. We had a bunch of those when I started working here
(1990). They were cool.

> I suppose that X has gotten rid of these things? I've never read anything
> discussing the titlebar icons... (and I would be happy if they are still
> there.)

Desktop printers aren't (yet) back into OSX, mostly because printing in
general has been rather massively in flux with OSX. It wasn't until 10.2
that the printing subsystem started to make any sense, with the advent
of CUPS. CUPS is rather like desktop printers, (other than the 'desktop'
part :-/ in that you can go into print Center and see the status of
jobs, adding printers is very much like adding a desktop printer.

Adding an icon on the desktop to point to that particular print queue
should be doable.

Alas, the nearest OSX machine I can play with is at home.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona