Hi.  I've read a lot of good comments here about the IBM Travelstar
drives, and since I'm interested in a new drive, I found some good
prices on the  new 5400 rpm ones.  Dumb question: are these (or
Hitachis, which I also remember having seen getting good reviews from
the group) platform agnostic, or do I have to get one specifically
formatted for a Mac?  Any preferred vendors?
Thanks in advance,
David Stephenson

PS: this is in part due to my query last month based on how my PowerBook
saved my hip when I fell on a wet subway platform.  I did a clean
re-install of the system, which seemed to have solved that problem, but
now, instead of the zip drive "click of death," I have an occasional
"foghorn of death" that seems to emanate from the hard-drive region of
my Pismo, and sounds like a rubbing sound somewhat resembling a
fog-horn. Perhaps it is Boston Light, perhaps Bar Harbor -- don't
recognize the tone.  I figure that the hard drive must be on its last
legs, so this is something of a rush against time.....

--
W. David Stephenson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Communication strategies that cut costs, increase sales, and create long-term
customer relationships.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. "
-- Albert Einstein
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin