On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 07:06  PM, Jim Freeman wrote:

> I'm glad I'm not alone, but why did it happen all of a sudden after 2.5
> years? I have six months left on my AppleCare (Pismo + graphite base
> station), so I want to make sure I fix anything that needs it.

And your AppleCare covers the ABS, too? Or did you mean maybe your
Pismo might be on the fritz? If you have the early ABS model, like I
do, then I'd guess a problem like that to be the capacitors going bad.
Mine died that way shortly after the first year and I did the capacitor
transplant and it's been working like a champ since then. I did the
transplant  shortly before Apple announced the special coverage for
affected ABS owners, but mine didn't fall within the serial number
range to qualify. Of course, it would have been to late after I opened
her up, but I was curious as to how they determined mine wasn't
affected- it had all the signs- increasing intermittent failures and
the swollen and ruptured main capacitor. Oh well- it worked out and I
couldn't bear the thought of going back to hard- wired even for a week
or two.

dave