On the subject of laptop lights - I just stumbled across this:

http://www.shopezonics.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/products/cobracam.html
?L+scstore+mmsf4585ffac73ac+1050014306 (combine address if broken)

The Ezonics CobraCAM. For $20 you get a 40cm flexible USB powered light. The
best part is that the light comes with a DIGITAL/WEB CAMERA! Well, since I
have mixed platforms around me, it caught my eye. I have the hardest time
seeing the keyboard on my pismo in the darkness and I was looking for a
flexible lamp too. This little honey just about kills me! I love it.

Can this camera be hacked for MAC use? I have a $20 coolcam from three years
ago that someone wrote a mac quicktime capture hack for it and it makes me
wonder if the same could be possible with this. It says it uses the standard
WDM driver for capture on windows. Is anyone familiar with this kind of
cross over?

I might buy one just for the laptop light and then plug it into my PC
desktop for webcam... for 20 clams...