Gabriel Aharon Diamond wrote:

>I took my pismo to the local Apple Service Tech for repair. I was told that
>the motherboard and the processor need to be replaced. It was made clear to
>me that this is a rare occurrence. So, I am looking for both. Can anyone
>help guide me to the sources I need? Perhaps someone has just upgraded a
>processor and has a 400 or 500mhz processor available...or a combo pulled
>from an otherwise working unit...?

Is this an official "Apple Service Tech"? A second opinion might be
useful. I've seen quite a few instances where someone brought me a PB
and told me that the "tech" they took it to said something like that
("totally dead; get a new one"), and I look at it and find all it
needs is the hard disk reformatted. I've been working on Macs for
about ten years, learned entirely on my own, but have to say I seem
to know more from actual experience than do a lot of official
Apple-certified techs.

I work a lot with DT&T Mac Service (http://www.dttservice.com). They
offer a free diagnostic service, and inexpensive repairs; their
prices for parts are not much different than what you'll usually find
on eBay, but warrantied. ("$Part(s) +$30 labor +shipping = $Your
total cost. $30 labor only if ship in whole unit."). You'd have to
ship it to them, but even so it'd probably be cheaper than going any
other route if you can't actually do the repair yourself. And they'll
replace only what needs to be replaced. (Ask for Bryan and tell him I
sent you.)

Andrew Main