There are several USB 2.0 cards that do work in OS X ... PCI cards that
is, one made by I/O Gear. With PC Cards I am not so sure but I would
not be terribly surprised to find drivers outside of the company that
made it. When it comes to OS X Open Source is doing great things, look
at WaveLAN support.

David