A while ago I asked the list for suggestions on connecting my Apple
4/600 to my G3 Lombard with no serial port. At a kind lister's suggestion I
got an AsantePrint Micro on eBay. It wouldn't work, so I emailed Asante last
night and got a reply already this morning.

    I thought I'd pass it on in case anybody else has the same situation:

--------------

If the link "LI" indicator is not on then there is no Etherent connection
between the G3 and the Micro AsantéPrint.  The AsantéPrint series of devices
do not auto negotiate with 10/100Mbps-NWay ports (such as those found on the
G3/G4/iMac systems or on dual speed switches/hubs).  The interposition of a
10Mbps hub between the Micro AsantéPrint  and the 10/100Mbps-NWay device
will  fix connection problems if this is encountered.

To resolve this issue the 10/100Mbps-NWay ports, where these connections are
made on switches/hubs, will need to have those ports configured to 10Mbps
and Half-Duplex operation (and this is not possible on the
G3/G4/iMac/iBooks).  If this is not possible then interposition of a 10Mbps
hub between the Micro AsantéPrint and the 10/100Mbps-NWay device will
resolve this problem.  Once you connect the AsantéPrint device to a 10Mbps
hub it will work just fine.

We recommend the following products:

Product Name:        FH10T5-G - FriendlyNet 10Mbps Hub  (5-port)
Product Number:        99-00613-01
Suggested Retail:        $33.00

However, I would recommend the AsantéTalk as a logical replacement for this
Micro AsantéPrint.  Basically the AsantéTalk and the Micro AsantéPrint are
the same device with the following differences:

*    The AsantéTalk is a non-managed device that will Auto-Negotiate with
a NWay device (such as a G3 or iMac Ethernet port).  So it can be connect
directly to one of these machines without the use of a hub to establish
communications.

*    The AsantéPrint is a device that is has limited management
capability (this is mostly performance monitoring type functionality) that
does not Negotiate with NWay devices.  This means that it will not be able
to directly connect to a NWay device and must have a hub placed between it
and the NWay device to operate.

Other than those distinct differences both devices are the same and have
similar capabilities and limitations.

Please call us if you need additional technical information or support
(anyone who answers will be able to assist you), or please be sure to
include all previous correspondence to your replies, thanks.

Asanté Technical Support
Support:    (M-F  7am-6pm  Mountain   GMT-7)
                   800-622-7464
                   801-566-8991