The PowerBook is secured with a nylon strap running between the back
cushion and seat underneath and back up to the front of the seat. Then
I buckle it together after crossing the strap over the PowerBook over
the On/Off button area. The strap is about 3/4 inch wide so this allows
me to cover only the top buttons but not any keys. I cinch it tight and
that keeps the PB still. Granted, it won't stop the PB from flying in a
wreck or rearender, but does work for a hard brake. I learned the hard
way when I sent it flying during one trip before I used the strap.
Braked hard at a light and it went flying off the seat. Fortunately, my
soft side portfolio was in the floor and padded the fall. I decided
never again so came up with the strap. I looked into getting a mount
for laptops but that cost several hundred dollars.  Maybe I will make
one someday...

I follow the progress on the screen just the way you think I do.
Glances back and forth. Keep in mind that I rarely look at it while
underway until I get close to my destination. I meet with many
companies in many cities in IL and MO. I locate the address on the
roadside prior to arrival and mark the destination. Then, as I get
closer, I refer to the map onscreen to see streets and turns. It is no
difference to someone glancing at a map as they drive. I'm not talking
constant staring at the screen anymore than you would constantly stare
at a paper map.

The GPS is magnificent to use and very accurate. It is just too bad
that Delorme has decided to drop support to Mac users. Even at version
6.0, my Street Atlas is still very accurate.

And so it goes...

Byron