On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 02:41 PM, Roger Shufflebottom wrote:

> At 23:00 -0800 2/2/03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> I use a Motorola c332 phone and my iBook 800 combo recognizes it as
>> USB
>> modem automatically under Jag. I don't really think you need an extra
>> card with many phones- just a script. This is Macs we're talking about
>> here, after all. Check Ross' page <http://www.taniwha.org.uk/> for
>> compatible phones/scripts. My Moto, BTW, dials and connects perfectly
>> using one of the 'Book's built- in scripts.
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but how do you connect the Motorola to the
> iBook? This sounds like good news for my Nokia!

Oh, no, pardon my omission. I realized after I sent it I didn't say
how- I bought an inexpensive USB mini USb -> to regular USb cable at
radio shack. I can't vouch for the Nokia, but I do know that when I
first got my c332, I asked the tech at the store if it could be used as
a modem and he confidently assured me that my model phone didn't have
the capability. Being the person I am, I realized the phone had a USB
port for *something*, so I gambled the 8 USD investment in the cable.
The moment I plugged it in, Jaguar's Apple Profiler instantly listed it
as "Motorola USB modem", so I knew I was in like Flynn. It was trial
and error for about 5 minutes in the "Network" prefs, trying different
modem scripts before I happed upon one of the built- in ones that
worked for the c332. I set my dial- up info, hit "connect" and watched
my phone display read, "data transmission" with little "1"s and "0"s
scrolling across. It's moments like that when it really hits home why
we're Mac users.

Anyway,  Ross' site has precise scripts for various phones and he
really knows what he's doing- you should have no problem finding one
for your Nokia.

dave