>KP Wrote:
>     The printer in question is an Apple Personal Laserwriter (LS?).  It
>is quite old (I got it in about 1995).  It's starting to print a grey
>stripe down the left hand side of the page, in the margin.  Obviously
>some toner is getting where it shouldn't.  Does anybody know how to fix
>this?

        Although I have not seen that specific printer for a while,
with laserprinters in general, that type of problem is usually
related to the cartridge.
        I didn't know that they made a PLW  that late--and there were
a bunch of models so you might check your manual on what you have.
        Here are some things that you might do if you can't swap the
cartridge:  a)  turn down the print density with the print density
slider thingy on the inside.    Sometimes a cartridge just starts
dumping toner and this tightens it up; Look in your manual though--I
think that model, you have to turn toward the wide side of the
symbol--not the narrow side--and this is totally counterintuitive;
b)  clean everything inside including the wire in the cartridge and
the wires that twist across the thingy in the middle;;  c)  rock your
cartridge--end to end  first and then front to back; 4: blow it out
with air and run clean paper through it.
        I am acquainted with versions of that printer and they last
quite a while, but Buy a used Laserwriter II NTX with appletalk and a
life expectancy measured in  geological time.