First post to this list.

A couple of weeks back I posted a note about this problem to
MacWizards and the only constructive reply I got was to join this
list. I'm not in a burning rush to solve this problem because I've
got a Ti PowerBook to use, but I'd like to get the old WallStreet
working, so I'm looking for any insight as to the nature of the
problem here. I've tried to include all of the relevant information,
but in case I've forgotten anything that matters, just ask and I'll
provide the missing detail, if possible.

- web

----- Original Post to the MacWizards List -----

I've got a Wall Street PowerBook that's got a problem, and I'm having
some difficulty sorting out what's wrong. The symptoms are as follows:

  1. Won't boot up.

  2. When the power manager is reset and you attempt to boot it, you
get a chime, then a second chime, then a third chime that's weaker
and clipped at the end.

  3. Once in a while the above chiming sequence is followed by
horrible noises from the speakers like something was being shorted
and sparking and self destructing inside. It's a very ugly sound.

  4. When trying to reset the Power Manager using the key combo, every
second attempt results in the fan coming on while the keys are
depressed. Pressing the key combo again causes the fan to cease
spinning.

  I've replaced the PMU board, thinking that it was the problem, but
the same things happen (though it did boot up once when the PMU board
was installed and the PM reset, but it wouldn't boot up a second
time). Today I measured the voltage on the PMU battery, and it
measured 5.6 volts. There are 6 cells so I'm thinking that the
voltage should be over 6 volts, close to 6.6 or so. But then since
the silicon runs at lower voltage, 5.6 may be enough to sustain it. I
guess what I'm looking for is someone who may know from experience
which board is the problem in this Mac, based on the symptoms, or if
I need to get a new PMU battery. I should mention that running off of
AC or battery made non difference. It wouldn't start.

  This unit had a board fail the first two weeks I had it, and Apple
replaced three boards (PMU, charge, power) and it worked for 4 and a
half years before the current failure. I've got a new Ti PowerBook
but I want this one back in operation for my wife. Any experience
based advice would be welcome.