>> I'm afraid I'm a little confused by what you presented. Are you saying you
>> HAVE to boot into OS 9 in order to use the Pismo's modem to connect to the
>> internet? You will get DNS errors (actually connectiion errors ) anytime you
>> try to connect to a mail server and a network (internet or LAN) are not
>> available. Your use of the word CLASSIC is also confusing, I can't determine
>> if you mean you are using Classic mode in OS X or Booting into OS 9 and
>> referring to that as "classic". Please try to restate your specific problem.
>
> In my vocabulary (my apologies for not defining them): Classic = OS 9
> 'compatibility environment' under OS X (or apps running under that
> environment); OS 9 = computer booted into OS 9.2.2.
>
> OS X on PPP dial-up works! OS 9.2.2 on PPP dial-up works. Both work on LAN.
> Classic (under OS X) on dial-up (& LAN) works, but _only_ as described
> above. If computer running OS X (while Classic apps are open) goes to sleep,
> Classic apps will throw up DNS not found errors when the try to use TCP/IP
> next time (LAN & dial-up). If Classic apps try to use TCP/IP while OS X is
> not connected to dial-up web, then they will report DNS not found (doesn't
> affect LAN).
>
> The only way to recover the use of TCP/IP in Classic apps is to restart
> Classic in Preferences Pane.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to respond Joe.
>
> Sincerely, Eric.

Hi Eric;
I now follow what you are saying, unfortunately I'm afraid I can't offer an
answer. It almost sounds like expected behaviour for the conditions you
describe. I would suggest the following although I'm not sure it would help.
1. Under the energy saver preference pane (options tab) in OS X; make sure
the checkbox for "Wake for administrator access" is checked.
2. Under the "Advanced" tab for the Classic preferences, make sure the
slider for "put classic to sleep when inactive for" is set to "Never"

I have a cable modem at home so I never use my modem so I don't have a way
to compare my system to yours. Maybe one of the above will work for you.

HTH
Joe