on 2/12/03 1:22 PM, Sam Strong at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am confused though when you say that the mouse is ignored in X.  Without
> the Logitech software installed the mouse is still "seen" for me.  The
> cursor will move and the buttons will all operate as a single click.  I just
> have to install the software to enable the scroll wheel and programmable
> clicks.  Does the mouse not even move the cursor for you?

It must've been the mouse b/c neither the B&W nor the Pismo would use the
mouse in OS X. AppleSystemProfiler would say that a device was present but
nothing would happen with it.

I installed the Logitech software on both machines and didn't get any
improvement -- even if it did, there's no reason a simple two
button/scroll-wheel *mouse* would require a driver.

In OS 9 it worked.

> By the way, I really love this mouse.  I have three now and have never had
> the least bit of problem with any of them.  Even my wife became addicted to
> them!  I got them each on sale at our local Office Depot for a measly
> $14.99, which is a great price for an optical two button wheel mouse in my
> book (and no, I have no affiliation with either Office Depot or Logitech).
> I suppose that this is slightly off topic, so please feel free to e-mail me
> off list if you want to continue to troubleshoot, etc.

I wish it'd worked for me. I suspect that it's a different model from the
one you have (b/c the part # was different from the part # listed on
Logitech's website). Anyway, I now have another mouse which is equally
functional. But, now I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my ADB
TurboMouse and Apple Extended Keyboard II (ADB) -- do I get an iMate to run
them on the laptop, or should I invest in a USB Kensington 4+ button
TurboMouse (but that still leaves me without my trusty Extended Kybd II...
the Pismo has a decent keyboard, but *nothing* touches the Extended Kybd II,
especially the crap Apple has provided as USB keyboards in the past few
years (including the new full-sized keyboard, which was a marked improvement
over the pathetic tiny thing that preceded it))?

Ah well, fun fun fun.

Eric.