on 2/20/03 10:53 PM, S B Cooper at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If I go to System Preferences and open the Sound panel, I find all the
> options have gone grey, and can't be set. The alert sound is stuck on
> 'Funk', whereas I'd set it to Sosumi previously. In 'Output' I find
> nothing in the box under "Choose a device for sound output" and below that
> "Settings for selected device: No output devices were found".

I experienced a similar problem, along with the inability to select sound
output on my Pismo running OS 9 the other day. I had to restart to be able
to move my sound from internal to anything else, and the sound sounded
weird. I decided it must have been a static discharge that had shocked
something hardware-wise. I had brought my Pismo home from work, and plugged
all my cables back in. When I was doing that, however, I got shocked, and
could even hear the shock through both the internal speakers and the
external. I didn't notice what had happened for a while, but I finally
realized that I couldn't do anything to the audio. At first I was nervous,
but a restart returned everything to normal. It has certainly changed how I
plug my cables in now, however. I always de-staticize (sic) myself before
plugging or unplugging stuff into the back of my Pismo. It is possible, I
suppose that I could have permanently fried my sound board.
--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

'A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow
the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the
people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their
virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external
or internal invader." -- Samuel Adams