Ongoing report on Matsushita Pismo DVD drive, as promised. It cost £160, not
£190, plus VAT. It had a white sticker over the model number which
unfortunately got mangled when I put it in the machine. However the model
number on the case is M7388(MKE(hash)CR-175). The box says Made in Japan,
but the module says Assembled in Taiwan. There is a black sticky label
saying PowerBook DVD-ROM Module. Underneath is the original wording:
Macintosh Powerbook G3 Series 24X CD-ROM Module. This suggests, does it,
that Apple took an older, unused casing and put DVD hardware in? Hence it
being described as "Refurbished". The casing looks new. It fits much more
snugly than my old, dead LG modules. At first it would not appear to eject
properly and there was a nightmare halfhour where everything seemed to jam
up and even the power button wouldn't function. It seems that, unlike the
looser-toleranced LGs, which spat the discs out, the Mats just grunts twice
and you have to pull it open from underneath. So far it does everything
fine, though DVD playback seems jerky on some discs. I think this may be
software rather than hardware. We shall see. TONY